Though India has more than a thousand type of traditional Indian sweets combined from different part of India. Here is the list of 22 most Famous Indian sweets. We have a listed Wide Variety of Mouth-watering Items! Explore the wide range of Indian traditional sweets also known as mithai in Hindi. Not only are desserts part of our staple food, but they are also offered in our places of worship. Be it the khada prasad at Gurudwaras or the boondi ladoos served at temples, desserts form an integral part of our sacred offerings. And by and large, all Indian desserts use sugar, milk and khoya as staple ingredients.
Sweets like Gulab Jamun, Rasgulla, Sondesh, Jalebhi, Imarti, and many more have conquered the taste buds of millions of Indians. No matter what the occasion, festival or celebration is, sweets are a must have for all of them.
Here is a look at some 22 Most Famous Indian Sweets that has conquered the taste buds of millions of Indians.
1 Jalebi जलेबी
Jalebi जलेबी – Jalebi, a spiral shaped crunchy sweet dipped in saffron laced sugar syrup, is the traditional Indian sweet. It is generally prepared on the festivals like Diwali and Ramadan and enjoyed with milk or other Indian snacks. Jalebi is made by deep-frying the Maida flour batter which is mostly in circular shapes, which is then dipped in sugar syrup to add more sweetness. These are popular in the southern states of India, mostly during the festivals of Ramadan and Diwali. The sweets are presented warm or cold. Jalebi is eaten with curd or rabri.
• Hindi Name of Jalebi – जलेबी
• Nutrition Facts of Jalebi : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 300 Calories
• Jalebi Best Served : Jalebi is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Jalebi Variant : Jalebi Rabdi, Dahi Jalebi
• Order Your Favorite Jalebi from: Mithai Factory
2 Gulab Jamun गुलाब जामुन
Gulab Jamun गुलाब जामुन – is a delicacy, popular in every state and a savoured dish in every nook of the country. It is often served along with garnishing of dried nuts like almonds to enhance flavour. It is a pretty famous dessert and in the menu at multiple festivals, weddings, birthdays, etc.
• Hindi Name of Gulab Jamun – गुलाब जामुन
• Nutrition Facts of Gulab Jamun : 1 piece Serving of (50g grams) has Approx Calories 149
• Gulab Jamun Best Served : Gulab Jamun is best served fresh, Luke warm and hot
• Gulab Jamun Variant : Kala Jaam
• Order Your Favorite Gulab Jamun from: Mithai Factory
3 Rasgulla रसगुल्ला
Rasgulla रसगुल्ला – Our favorite delicious Bengali sweet. Spongy rasgulla is soft and light and very good in size. Rasgulla is a semi-solid dessert popular in India. They look like balls made of the ingredient chhena, it is made in light syrup made of sugar. The dish traces its roots from Odisha and West Bengal.
• Hindi Name of Rasgulla – रसगुल्ला
• Nutrition Facts of Rasgulla: 1 piece Serving of (131 grams) has Approx. Calories 120
• Rasgulla Best Served : Rasgulla is best served fresh, Luke warm and hot
• Rasgulla Variants : Bengali Rosogolla, Odia Rasagola ( Similar Dishes – Rosomalai, Khiramohana, Khondoler roshogolla )
• Order Your Favorite Rasgulla from : Mithai Factory
4 Laddu लड्डू
Laddu लड्डू is a round-shaped sweetmeat made from fine, tiny balls of Besan. The chickpea flour globules is fried in ghee or oil, and soaked in sugar syrup. The sweet, pearl-like balls are then Moulded into Ladoos. Laddu are ball-shaped sweets popular in the. Laddus are prepared with flour, kneaded dough and sugar. There are various other ingredients that are put in and differ from each person’s liking. Laddu’s are a usual sweet delicacy for festivals, family events, and births as well, or given as a prasad at Hindu temples.
• Hindi Name of Laddu – लड्डू
• Nutrition Facts Laddu: 1 piece Serving of (42 grams) has Approx Calories 211
• Laddu Best Served : Laddu is best served fresh and consumed at room temperature
• Laddu Variant : Motichoor Laddu, Besan Laddu, Coconut Laddu, Til Ke laddu, Boondi ke Laddu, Atta Laddu, Sabudana Laddu, Ragi Laddu, Dink Laddo, Dry Fruit Laddu, Rava Laddu, Moong Dal Laddu, Peanut Laddu, Gond Ke Laddu, Malai Laddu, Badam Laddu, Til Gud ke Laddu, Khoya Coconut Laddu, Jaggery Coconut Laddu, Roasted Gram Laddu, Urad Dal Laddu, Khoya Suji Laddu, Sattu Laddu, Til Khoya Laddu.
• Order Your Favorite Laddu from : Mithai Factory
5 Boondi बूंदी
Boondi बूंदी is a North Indian Traditional sweet snack which is made from fried chickpea flour. These are also used in the preparation of boondi laddus where in the boondi is fried and then dipped in sugar syrup. These boondi are similar to the ladoos and are deep-fried. Small drops of a batter are dropped into hot oil then soaked in a simple syrup and formed into balls.
• Hindi Name of Boondi – बूंदी
• Nutrition Facts of Boondi : 1 cup of Sweet Boondi has Approx Calories 751
• Boondi Best Served : Boondi is best served fresh and Hot
• Boondi Variant : Sweet Boondi, Salted boondi
• Order Your Favorite Boondi at: Mithai Factory
6 Peda पेड़ा
Peda पेड़ा is a sweet that is usually made in semi- soft thick pieces. The main ingredients are khoya (khava), sugar and some traditional spices to spice up the taste. Pedhas come in various types and they differ with their ingredients also. Pedhas come in various different colors.
• Hindi Name of Jalebi – पेड़ा
• Nutrition Facts of Peda : 1 Serving of Peda of (11g grams) has Approx Calories 40
• Peda Best Served : Peda is best served fresh and at room temperature
• Peda Variant : Malai Peda, Kesar Peda, Mawa Peda, Khoya Peda, Chana Dal Ragi Peda, Amrit Peda, Doodh Peda, Choco Peda, Coloured Peda’s, Dharwad Peda, Mathura Peda.
• Order Your Favorite Peda at: Mithai Factory
7 Kaju Katli काजू कतली
Kaju Katli काजू कतली is an Indian sweet dish. Kaju in Hindi is known as cashew nut. Ingredients such as Ghee, saffron, and one can add dry fruits to each one’s taste. The shape is usually a diamond shape. The final product sometimes has an edible silver foil for decoration purposes. It may come in various colors depending on the ingredients used. Kaju Katli is traditionally eaten during Diwali. The dish is famous all over India.
• Hindi Name of Kaju Katli – काजू कतली
• Nutrition Facts of Kaju Katli: 1 Serving of Kaju Katli (100g grams) has Approx 300 Calories
• Kaju Katli Best Served : Kaju katli is best served fresh and at room temperature
• Kaju Katli Variant : Kaju Katli, Kesar Kaju Katli, Kesari Pedha, Barfi, Pista barfi
• Order Your Favorite Kaju Katli at: Mithai Factory
8 Barfi बर्फी
Barfi बर्फी are an Indian speciality. They come in various types and colors. They are made from different kind of flavors and some made from fruits as well. There are wide ranges of variety one can select from. Usually cut in a diamond or square shape, barfi is a fudge-like Indian sweet made with condensed milk and sugar (but not only). Coconut, almonds, pistachios and edible silver leaf are common additions.
• Hindi Name of Barfi – बर्फी
• Nutrition Facts of Barfi: 1 Serving of Barfi (19g grams) has Approx Calories 92
• Barfi Best Served : Barfi is best served fresh and at room temperature
• Barfi Variant : Besan Ki Barfi, Badam Barfi, Coconut Barfi, Chocolate Barfi, Coconut Barfi with Milk, Gajar Ki Barfi, Ghiya Ki Barfi, Jackfruit Barfi, Kaju Ki Barfi, Mawa Barfi, Malai Barfi, Mango Barfi, Orange Barfi, Pista Barfi, Rava Barfi, Sev Barfi, Til Ki Barfi, Urad Dal Ki Barfi
• Order Your Favorite Barfi at: Mithai Factory
9 Rabri रबड़ी
Rabri रबड़ी is Rich and Creamy with Shahi aromatic flavor of Kesar (Saffron) and Elaichi (Cardamom). Its Traditional, Delicious, Tempting and very famous in India. Rabri is an Indian sweet dish made with curd, flour, and a combination of bajre ki roti. Rabri is mostly made in the northern, central and western states of the country. It is eaten hot or cold but best tasted when it’s cold. Spices like cumin seeds, dry fruits, etc., can be used to garnish the dish
• Hindi Name of Rabdi – रबड़ी
• Nutrition Facts of Rabdi: 1 Serving of Rabdi has Approx Calories 144
• Rabdi Best Served : Rabdi is best served fresh and at room temperature
• Rabdi Variant : Jalebi Rabdi, Dahi Jalebi, Rabri Guab Jamun, Rabri Khoya Guab Jamun, Rabri Dry Fruit Guab Jamun, Boondi with Rabri
• Order Your Favorite Rabdi at: Mithai Factor
10 Gajar ka Halwa गाजर का हलवा
Gajar ka Halwa गाजर का हलवा – As per the name the name gajar ka halwa is made from carrots. Carrot halwa is popularly known as Gajar ka halwa, Gajrela or Gajar halwa. Carrot halwa is a Indian pudding made with fresh carrots, milk, sugar, ghee and nuts and dry fruits. Carrots are grated and with several other ingredients, the dish is prepared. Gajar Ka Halwa is slowly cooked traditional Indian halwa or pudding made by simmering carrots in milk. The dessert is famous all over Northern India. It is eaten in various functions or festivals in the states. It is served hot during the winter.
• Hindi Name of Gajar Ka Halwa – गाजर का हलवा
• Nutrition Facts of Gajar Ka Halwa : 1 Serving of Gajar Ka Halwa (100g grams) has Approx 386 Calories
• Gajar Ka Halwa Best Served : Gajar Ka Halwa is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Gajar Ka Halwa Variant : Gajrela, Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa), Beetroot Halwa, Badam Halwa, Dry Fruit and Nuts Halwa, Suji Ka Halwa, Wheat Aate Ka Halwa, Moong Dal Halwa, Chana Dal Halwa, Urad Dal Halwa, Lauki Ka Halwa, Apple Halwa, Milk Halwa, Gur ka Halwa(Jaggery Halwa), Akhrot Halwa
• Order Your Favorite Gajar Ka Halwa at: Mithai Factory
11 Petha पेठा
Petha पेठा is a soft treat from North India. Usually rectangular or cylindrical in shape, is made from the gourd vegetable. Many flavoured variants are available. Petha is said to be originated from Agra. Generally it is made from Dairy Products or by using grains or Cereals. Ash gourd Vegetable and Sugar Syrup makes this sweet unique and very popular.
• Hindi Name of Petha – पेठा
• Nutrition Facts of Petha : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 74 Calories
• Petha Best Served : Petha is best served fresh and consumed room temperature.
• Petha Variant : Agra Petha, Cherry Mango Petha, Coconut Petha, Angoori Petha, Kesar Elaichi Petha, Orange Petha, Shahi Angoor Petha
• Order Your Favorite Petha at: Mithai Factory
12 Basundi बासुंदी
Basundi बासुंदी is similar to a North Indian dish which is Rabdi. It is sweetened dense milk that is prepared by boiling milk on a low flame until the milk is depleted by half. This dish is made on multiple Hindu festivals. Various types of basundi’s are sitapha basundi and angoor basundi.
Basundi Nutrition Facts: 1 cup of has Approx Calories 398
• Hindi Name of Basundi – बासुंदी
• Nutrition Facts of Basundi : 1 Serving of Basundi (100g grams) has Approx 398 Calories
• Basundi Best Served : Basundi is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Basundi Variant : Basundi Kesar Elaichi, Elaichi Basundi, Kesar Basundi, Mango Basundi, Malai Basundi, Cream Strawberry Basundi, Cream Sitafal Basundi, Cream Angoor Sitafal Basundi, Cream Angoor Strawberry Basundi, Cream Angoor Basundi, Kesar Angoor Basundi, Kesar Dryfruit Basundi.
• Order Your Favorite Basundi at: Mithai Factory
13 Sandesh सन्देश
Sandesh सन्देश is a dessert created with the ingredients milk and sugar and it is a Bengali dessert. Many preparations include the ingredients such as Sandesh use chhena or paneer instead of milk. It is an all time favourite for the locals and anyone visiting the cities of West Bengal.
• Hindi Name of Sandesh – सन्देश
• Nutrition Facts of Sandesh : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 147 Calories
• Sandesh Best Served : Sandesh is best served fresh and consumed at room temperature.
• Sandesh Variant : Sandesh Rabdi, Dahi Jalebi
• Order Your Favorite Sandesh at: Mithai Factory
14 Kulfi कुल्फी
Kulfi कुल्फी is a famous frozen dairy dessert, often described as “traditional Indian ice cream. As popularly understood, Kulfi is a similarity to ice- cream. It is garnished with multiple traditional spices which may include ground cardamom, saffron, or pistachio nuts. Right from the beginning of time, kulfi is sold on the streets of India by vendors known as kulfi wallas; they keep the kulfi frozen for a long time by keeping the moulds inside pots known as matkas which are usually filled with salt and ice for better results. The dish is presented on either a leaf or a stick.
• Hindi Name of Kulfi – कुल्फी
• Nutrition Facts of Kulfi : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 136 Calories
• Kulfi Best Served : Kulfi is best served fresh and cold
• Kulfi Variant : Malai Kulfi, Pista Kulfi, Mango Kulfi, Strawberry Kulfi, Butter Scotch Kulfi, Litchi Kulfi, Kesar Pista Kulfi, Kesar Badam Kulfi, Roasted Almond kulfi, Kaju Kishmish Kulfi,Kaju Kishmish Kulfi,Black Current Kulfi,Kesar Kulfi,Rabri Kulfi,Rabri Falooda Kulfi,Rabri Dry Fruit Kulfi,Walnut Kulfi,Kasaatta Kulfi,Black Current Kulfi,
• Order Your Favorite Kulfi at: Mithai Factory
15 Modaks मोदक
Modaks मोदक are a Maharashtrian delicacy. The sweet filling inside a modak is of fresh grated coconut and jaggery, the outer cover which is soft is prepared by using rice flour or wheat flour which is mixed with either khava or maida flour. The modak can be fried or steamed. It is said to be the favourite food of Lord Ganesha. It is a tradition to offer 21 modaks to the lord.
• Hindi Name of Modak – मोदक
• Nutrition Facts of Modak : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 85 Calories
• Modak Best Served : Modak is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Modak Variant : Chana Dal Modak, Rava Modak, Chocolate Modak, Dry Fruit Modak, Mawa Modak, Kesari Modak, Paneer Modak, Coconut Modak, Malai Modak, Mango Modak, Ukadiche Modak, Cranberry Modak, Sugar Free Modak, Motichoor Modak,
• Order Your Favorite Modak at: Mithai Factory
16 Puran Poli पूरन पोली
Puran Poli पूरन पोली known as sweet flat bread is from South India and Maharashtra. Its stuffing is made in many different variations. It is very famous in Andhra Pradesh as Bobbattu. The dish is prepared using yellow gram, flour, jaggery or sugar, cardamom powder ghee and water. The sweet dish is served with ghee.
Puran Poli Nutrition Facts: 1 puran poli serving has Approx Calories 195
• Hindi Name of Puran Poli – पूरन पोली
• Nutrition Facts of Puran Poli : 1 Serving of Puran Poli (100g grams) has Approx 195 Calories
Puran Poli Best Served : Puran Poli is best served fresh and consumed Hot • Puran Poli Variant : Gujrati Puran Poli, Maharashtrian Puran Poli, Shahi Puran Poli, Sweet Corn Stuffed Puran Poli, Moogar Puran Poli with Paneer and RabriMixed Fruit Poli, Tilachi Poli,
• Order Your Favorite Puran Poli at: Mithai Factory
17 Kheer खीर
Kheer खीर is a liquid delicacy made using rice, sugar and milk. It is made with various. It is mostly served as a dessert or the last course meal. Kheer is a Jammu and Kashmir speciality. It comes in different types and flavors. These are usually made from vermicelli noodles.
• Hindi Name of Kheer – खीर
• Nutrition Facts of Kheer : 1 Serving of Kheer(100g grams) has Approx 131 Calories
• Kheer Best Served : Kheer is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Kheer Variant : Rice Kheer, Apple Kheer, Paneer Kheer, Orange Kheer, Vermicelli Kheer, Poha Kheer, Wheat Kheer, Soya Kheer, Strawberry Kheer, Dudhi Kheer, Green Peas Kheer, Sabudana Kheer, Rava Kheer, Pineapple Kheer, Makhane Kheer, Lychee Kheer, Malai Gulab Kheer, Khus Khus Kheer, Methi Kheer, Moong Dal Kheer,
• Order Your Favorite Kheer at: Mithai Factory
18 Aamras आमरस
Aamras आमरस is a sweet dish that is made from extracting the pulp from the fruit, Mango. Being a tropical and seasonal fruit it comes once a year and brings delight, and leaves everyone smacking their lips and licking their fingers clean. Aamras is usually served with milk to enhance the flavor and sometimes adding sugar helps it become sweeter. This dish is famous in the States of Gujrat, Maharashtra, and Rajasthan. A must try for any tourist visiting these states in the summer times.
• Hindi Name of Aamras – आमरस
• Nutrition Facts of Aamras : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 165 Calories
• Aamras Best Served : Aamras is best served fresh and consumed Chilled
• Aamras Variant : Pairi Mango Aamras, Totapuri Aamras, Hapus Aamras, Sindhura Aamras, Banginapalli Aamras, Ratnagiri Aamras, Chausa Aamras, Raspuri Aamras, Himsagar Aamras, Neelam Aamras, Malgova Aamras, Malda Aamras, Langra Aamras, Kesari Aamras, Badami Aamras,
• Order Your Favorite Amras at: Mithai Factory
19 Shrikhand श्रीखंड
Shrikhand श्रीखंड is super thick yogurt mixed with saffron and sweet milk to bring joy to the taste buds. It is a dessert that is perfect for any warm day. It can be topped with pistachios to add more flavors.
• Hindi Name of Shrikhand – श्रीखंड
• Nutrition Facts of Shrikhand : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 268 Calories
• Shrikhand Best Served : Shrikhand is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Shrikhand Variant : White Elachi Shrikhand, Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand, Mango Shrikhand, Sitafal Shrikhand, Strawberry Shrikhand, Fresh Fruit Shrikhand, Kesar Malai Shrikhand, Kesar Dryfruit Shrikhand
• Order Your Favorite Shrikhand at: Mithai Factory
20 Shahi Tukra शाही टुकड़ा
Shahi Tukra शाही टुकड़ा is a syrup-soaked toast that is liberally spread all over in a sweetened depleting of milk flavoured with a traditional spice, saffron. These are topped with pistachios to make the dessert a bit more interesting for the mouth. A North Indian delicacy and is savoured by all.
• Hindi Name of Shahi Tukra – शाही टुकड़ा
• Nutrition Facts of Shahi Tukra : 1 Serving of Shasi Tukra (100g grams) has Approx 324 Calories
• Shahi Tukra Best Served : Shahi Tukra is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Shahi Tukra Variant : double ka meeta
• Order Your Favorite Shahi Tukra at: Mithai Factory
21 Sheera शीरा
Sheera शीरा -This is a dessert that is famous in various states and has different names in different states. It is known as Sajjige in Karnataka, in Maharashtra known as sheera and in North India known as sooji. It is originally from Karnataka and can be served as breakfast or a dessert. It is also served as a Prasad after the prayers to the Gods.
• Hindi Name of Sheera – शीरा
• Nutrition Facts of Sheera : 1 Serving of (100g grams) has Approx 119 Calories
• Sheera Best Served : Sheera is best served fresh and consumed Hot
• Sheera Variant : Suji Ka Halwa, Atta Ka Sheera
• Order Your Favorite Shahi Tukra at: Mithai Factory
22 Sohan Papdi सोन पापड़ी
Sohan Papdi सोन पापड़ी is a sweet dish popular in the Northern state. The shape of this dish is usually cubical or served in flakes.The texture is usually crispy. Soan Papdi is said to be famous in many regions of India, some being Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Rajasthan.
• Hindi Name of Soan Papdi – सोन पापड़ी
• Nutrition Facts of Soan Papdi : 1 Serving of Shohan Papdi has Approx 160 Calories
• Soan Papdi Best Served : Soan Papdi is best served fresh and consumed at Room Temperature
• Soan Papdi Variant : Elaichi Soan Papdi, Kesar Soan Papdi, Ghee Soan Papdi, Multigrain Soan Papdi, Chocolate Soan Papdi, Mango Soan Papdi, Orange Soan Papdi,
• Order Your Favorite Soan Papdi at: Mithai Factory
Information, Images and Nutrition Facts & Values are for reference purpose only. Mithai Factory reserves the rights for product packaging/size/name change without any prior notice.